Crosta & Mollica Pane Pugliese is produced by a family-owned bakery in the Puglia region and baked to a traditional recipe using the locally milled durum wheat flour which gives the bread its signature golden colour. It’s thick crust and slightly chewy texture makes Pane Pugliese the ideal base for bruschetta.
A classic tomato bruschetta is one of the most simple and yet one of the most delicious and well-loved Italian dishes enjoyed across all regions and seasons. It is a recipe that combines a great love of traditional Italian bread with the great pleasure of fresh, sun ripened tomatoes and creamy buffalo mozzarella.
Whether it’s a light lunch or an inviting starter, this quick and easy dish is guaranteed to get everyone together to enjoy a true taste of Italy.
Serving size: 1 slice per person
Ingredients: (based on 6 people):
1 pack of Crosta & Mollica Pane Pugliese (6 slices)
3 balls of high quality Italian Buffalo Mozzarella
3 peeled cloves of garlic
1 bunch basil leaves
For the roasted tomatoes:
2 punnets of mixed cherry, plum or vine tomatoes
3 tbsps. extra virgin olive oil
3 tbsps. balsamic vinegar or glaze
1 tsps. salt (rock salt or salt flakes)
Preparation time: 15 mins
Total time required: 15 mins
1. Preheat your oven to 200C or Gas mark 6
2. Slice our mixed tomatoes in 1/2 and place in an oven-proof baking tray or dish
3. Drizzle the olive oil and balsamic vinegar over the tomatoes. Stir gently, making sure they are well coated then add a sprinkle of salt and place in the oven
4. Roast for 8-10 mins. Once the tomatoes are juicy and their skins slightly blistered remove them from the oven
5. While the tomatoes are roasting, toast the Pane Pugliese slices until golden brown
6. Once toasted, drizzle each slice with a small amount of olive oil and rub all over with a clove of garlic. We recommend 1/2 a clove per slice but you can alter to taste.
7. Drain the mozzarella balls and tear or slice into rough pieces
8. Add 2 or 3 tbsps. of tomatoes to each Pane Pugliese slice along with a generous amount of mozzarella
9. Top each bruschetta with several fresh basil leaves, a drizzle of olive oil and salt and pepper if required
10. Serve warm and enjoy!